For some during quarantine life, alcohol consumption became a daily activity. With the stress of not knowing when the pandemic would end and parents being stuck at home with their kids 24/7, a glass of wine or a cocktail usually did the trick. Now with more time to cook and try out new recipes, it’s no surprise that actor Stanley Tucci became a viral internet sensation when he shared a video on how to make a Negroni from the comfort of his own home. The internet went crazy and the “Stanley Tucci cocktail” was one of the most searched recipes on the internet during the peak of quarantine life.
A year later, as summer approaches, I thought we would revisit this viral video and put our twist to this amazing cocktail. Summer is a time for refreshing and citrusy-styled drinks, which is why the Negroni is the perfect summer drink for any occasion. Most Negroni recipes have you garnish it with an orange slice or an orange peel, but we thought we decided to add fresh-squeezed orange juice in addition to an orange peel garnish. This is going to give it a refreshing taste, perfect to sit back and enjoy a warm summer afternoon.
In addition to the Negroni, summer fruits and herbs are also great ingredients to incorporate into a cocktail. Our Chief Entertainment Officer Melissa Lee once tried Rosmarino in Bianca, her UF (ultimate favorite) restaurant for pizza and the sushi taco. It was bold, refreshing, and beautiful! Many thanks to the amazing team of Bianca to share this recipe with us.
The Rosmarino is a drink that is bursting with flavor. The fresh aroma from the rosemary, the bitterness from the Carpano and orange, and the richness from the mezcal complement each other in a unique yet delectable way. If you don’t have mezcal, another alternative is tequila. Since both alcohols are derived from agave. The difference between the two comes down to the maturation process and the agave content. Mezcal is mostly agave, while tequila only has to contain 50% or less. So really, it all comes down to what you prefer to use.
So, bring out your summer clothes, get your outdoor patio ready, and give these recipes a try. After making these drinks, you are going to want to lay back, relax, and enjoy a fresh summer cocktail in the comfort of your own home or with the company of your best summer crew.
- 50 ml gin
- 50 ml red vermouth
- 50 ml Campari
- 25 ml fresh squeezed orange juice
- Orange peel and zest to garnish
- Pour gin, red vermouth, Campari, and orange juice into a shaker with ice.
- Shake for 30 seconds.
- Fill glass up to halfway with ice.
- Pour the drink and garnish with orange peel and orange zest.
- 1 oz. Mezcal
- 1 oz. Carpano Antica Formula vermouth
- 1 oz. Rosemary Campari
- 8 sprigs Rosemary to 1 quart Campari
- Orange zest for garnish
- Infused 1 quart Campari with 8 sprigs of Rosemary overnight.
- In a pint glass, combine the rosemary Campari, vermouth, and mescal.
- Fill the glass with ice, then stir and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Rub the orange zest around the glass's rim and squeeze it into the drink, then serve.
Join Our Community at Patreon
Perks for Friends of Food Patrons only:
Friends of Food is a digital members-only community designed to empower and connect food folks alike.
- Invitation to private community & food folk directory
- Access to a highly vetted network of Chefs
- One hour Zoom cooking lesson once a month
- Cookbook club + happy hour once a month
- 30 mins cooking consultation
- E-mail us your cooking questions and we will get back to you with our best answer within a week.
- Polls (Help us choose a topic for an upcoming video + more!)
- Behind-the-scenes / Bloopers
- Exclusive perks from brand partners
Camila Pesantez is the owner of @camipphotography. She is a wedding, portrait, and fashion photographer based in New England. She loves capturing authentic, candid, fun, and spontaneous moments. In her spare time, Camila enjoys singing and serving at her local church, cooking, and spending time with friends.
What sparked your passion for the industry?
The creativity behind it. It’s what I use to express my creativity and feel free to express myself through it. The photography world is so diverse and the possibilities are endless.
Cake or Pie? Why?
Pie because it has a lot of texture and moisture and reminds me of a nice cozy fall day at home.
Favorite dish to cook at home?
Vegan meat pasta. I have my own recipe, and I make it at least twice a month